Intrauterine devices have a mixed reputation – but don’t deserve it.
As a contraceptive method, IUDs enable you to manage birth control for up to 10 years. However, it’s possible you’ve heard some rumors that are keeping you from talking to your doctor about the benefits of IUD contraception. Unnerving stories like IUDs moving into the uterine wall can keep you up at night. However, these rare instances account for less than 0.01% of cases. While there are some side effects associated with an IUD, most of them are manageable and can be discussed in detail with your specialist.
The truth is that the benefits of IUD contraception greatly outweigh the cons and can be a liberating option for those who are looking for safe, reliable, and low maintenance birth control.
What are the health benefits of an IUD?
- IUDs are an effective contraceptive measure. IUDs are 99% effective. Unlike other birth control methods, there is no risk of misuse.
- IUDs provide reliable contraception for up to 10 years at a time. As a result, they’re a great option for women looking to prevent pregnancy in the foreseeable future.
- IUDs can help regulate painful periods and menstrual cycles. In fact, IUDs are often prescribed for those with painful periods.
- Some studies suggest that IUDs can help prevent endometrial cancer.
- You can become pregnant after IUD removal
- There are multiple types of IUDs to choose from such as copper or hormonal intrauterine devices.
How do I decide on which IUD is right for me?
If you are interested in gaining the health benefits of an IUD but are unsure which one would be best for you, then schedule an appointment with your Viva Eve Ob/Gyn. Together you can discuss the various IUDs as well as the effects they might have on your menstrual cycle and family planning. Viva Eve specialists can answer questions or concerns you may have along the process.
If you choose a hormonal IUD it will be important to talk about whether you want to: maintain your menstrual cycle, or reduce (or eradicate) your period.
Options like Mirena or Liletta offer high levels of hormones and have the potential to stop periods altogether. By contrast, Kyleena and Skyla are more likely to maintain your regular cycle. The various health benefits of an IUD depend on which one you choose and your personal needs. Viva Eve can assist in the decision making process by answering your questions and providing a professional and educated opinion.
What is the IUD insertion procedure like?
The insertion procedure is performed by your doctor. The IUD is placed into a small tube and inserted through the cervix and positioned in the uterus. The applicator tube is then removed and the IUD will stay in place in the uterus. You can prepare yourself for the procedure by eating a light meal and drinking plenty of water to avoid feeling lightheaded or dizzy. It’s also possible to experience cramping after the procedure and your doctor might prescribe an over the counter pain reliever to manage the cramping. If you have more questions about the procedure, be sure to reach out to your Viva Eve specialist.