Is LAAM NYC the Right Fibroid Treatment for You?
A surgical procedure that is most often suggested to women of childbearing age is a myomectomy. This technique is used to remove fibroids while leaving the uterus intact and helps preserve or improve the woman’s fertility.
If you are considering myomectomy surgery, then you likely have been suffering from one or more of the following fibroid-related symptoms:
- Heavy, prolonged or painful menstrual periods with or without clotting
- Pelvic pressure and pain, distended and bloated abdomen
- Moderate to severe menstrual cramps
- Pain during sex and loss of libido
- Weak bladder control, frequency in urination due to bladder pressure
- Inexplicable weight gain
- An enlarged uterus
- Anemia (low blood count) that can lead to a lack of energy and fatigue
- Lower back pain and pain in the back of the legs
Women who are offered a myomectomy as a treatment option by their OB/GYN are often instructed to have an open myomectomy procedure. Open myomectomy is an effective fibroid removal procedure, but it requires larger incisions and can cause more complications and longer recovery times than newer, minimally invasive myomectomy surgery techniques.
One of the most advanced minimally invasive myomectomy procedures is LAAM (Laparoscopic Assisted Abdominal Myomectomy).
LAAM procedure uses the best elements of both laparoscopic and open approaches for fibroid removal.
During this procedure your NYC Fibroid Removal Specialist makes two incisions: one 1.5 to 2 inches long at the bikini line and another half inch incision at the belly button. Sometimes one or two additional incisions are made to help the surgeon better visualize and access parts of the pelvis to successfully complete the procedure.
The Benefits of Laparoscopically Assisted Abdominal Myomectomy Procedure
- Removes both very large and very small fibroids
- Minimally Invasive
- Higher fertility rate post-procedure than other types of myomectomies
- Significantly less pain and fewer complications
- Lower risk of infection and blood loss
- Incision scars are small and fade over time
- A faster return to normal daily activities (2-4 weeks on average)
Overview of Types of Myomectomies
|LAAM Procedure||Laparoscopic Myomectomy||Robotic Myomectomy||Open Myomectomy|
|LENGTH OF PROCEDURE||1 – 1.5 hours||Up to 2 hours||Up to 4 hours||Up to 5 hours|
|HOSPITAL STAY||0 – 1 Days1||1 Day14||1 Day4,11||Up to 3 Days4,11|
|RECOVERY TIME||10–14 Days1||Up to 3 Weeks7,17||Up to 3 Weeks12||Up to 8 Weeks10,15,16|
The doctors at Viva Eve are experts in every possible fibroid treatment (including LAAM myomectomy NYC) and will be happy to discuss all the medically sound options available. Our board-certified fibroid experts will work with you to choose the treatment path that’s best for you and your unique circumstances. Whether you are looking into starting treatment with us, or are simply seeking a second opinion, we invite you to come in for a consultation. You will always be heard at Viva Eve.