If you were just diagnosed with fibroids, then you may be happy to hear that fibroid cancer is rare and a vast majority of fibroids are benign growths. When fibroid cancer is detected, it’s important to seek treatment immediately because cancer cells can spread to other areas of the body. If you are worried about fibroid cancer then book an appointment with your NYC Fibroid Specialist at Viva Eve for a thorough evaluation.
Common Symptoms of Fibroid Cancer
Again, statistically speaking, you are unlikely to develop fibroid cancer from having fibroids. Fibroids can often even go undetected and can be asymptomatic. There are also certain types of fibroids that are more prone to developing cancer. Only your expert NYC Fibroid specialist at can diagnose fibroids and fibroid cancer by using the proper imaging techniques and only your doctor or a specialist can recommend the best fibroid cancer treatment if cancer is detected. Common symptoms of fibroid cancer can be similar to the symptoms of regular fibroids. If you are showing some of the symptoms below then your doctor may use imaging techniques to determine if the growths are cancerous.
- If your fibroids are growing quickly, your doctor may check to see if you need fibroid cancer treatment.
Location of growth and number of fibroids
- Fibroids are more likely to be cancerous if they grow on the outer uterine wall or if there is only one fibroid instead of multiple.
- If you are postmenopausal and are experiencing fibroid bleeding this could be a sign of cancerous growth on your fibroids.
- If you have a family history of cancer or fibroid cancer then your chances of developing cancerous fibroids is higher. Be sure to always communicate your family history with our specialists.
Causes of Fibroid Cancer
As we mentioned above, it’s unlikely that your fibroids are cancerous and while we still don’t know exactly what causes these rare cases of fibroid cancer, we know there are a few things that could put someone at a higher risk for developing fibroid cancer.
- If you are postmenopausal you are more likely to develop fibroid cancer.
- If you have previously had cancer in other parts of the body.
Fibroid Cancer Treatment
Our specialists can help you with many treatment options for fibroids. While we don’t offer specific fibroid cancer treatment under our roof, our specialists can help you diagnose fibroid cancer and can refer to an expert specializing in fibroid cancer treatment. We also do have in-house methods that may not be cancer specific, but can still help treat fibroid cancer from further developing. Effective tests like an endometrial biopsy can determine if you have uterine cancer. It’s best to talk with our NYC fibroid specialists to determine which method is best for you and your unique situation.
UFE (Uterine Fibroid Embolization)
- UFE is an effective method of blocking blood flow to the growths. It’s a safe and effective way of decreasing the size of fibroids and it also eliminates the chance of potentially spreading any cancerous growth to the rest of the body.