Bundle of joy? Without a doubt. But along with all that happiness, babies can also be the source of numerous pregnancy skin conditions. From pigmentation issues such as melasma and linea negra (more on those later) to acne, stretch marks and spider veins, skin conditions during pregnancy can pose real challenges for new moms.
Thankfully Viva Eve’s Aesthetics & Skin Health service offerings can undo virtually all these confidence-eroding pregnancy skin conditions. Once you’re through that initial sleepless-night newborn phase – and, best case scenario, have finished breastfeeding — you may very well want to treat yourself to addressing some of the skin issues during pregnancy that bother you the most.
But First, Why Do They Happen?
If you’re looking for the culprit behind skin conditions during pregnancy, it can pretty much be summed up with a single word: hormones.
An increase in progesterone, for example, can trigger acne. Along with progesterone, estrogen and melanocyte-stimulating hormone can be the root cause of melasma, aka “the mask of pregnancy,” as well as linea negra, the dark vertical line that can appear on the stomach. Spider veins that crop up during pregnancy can also be attributed to hormones, along with the increase in blood volume that naturally occurs at this time.
Not that pregnancy hormones bring nothing but beauty misery. In fact, some women absolutely love the glowy, rosy effect being pregnant has on their skin, and many swear their hair is not only much shinier, but far lusher and more voluminous, too.
But then there’s the rest of us, who are faced with having to deal with unwanted skin issues during pregnancy. Let’s unpack the Viva Eve solutions for each of these pesky problems, one by one.
Pregnancy Skin Conditions, Meet Pregnancy Skin Solutions
In a perfect world, you’d meet with one of Viva Eve’s Board-certified Skincare Specialists either before or right at the start of your pregnancy. By doing that, you’d be giving yourself a major head start in getting in front of – and possibly even preventing -any potential pregnancy skin issues.
That’s why intel about our Prenatal & Pregnancy Skincare service is the jumping-off point for this entire “pregnancy skin solutions” section, followed by other hyper-effective treatments for specific pregnancy skin conditions.
Solution: Prenatal & Pregnancy Skincare…for basically everything
Your Prenatal & Pregnancy Skincare consultation with a Viva Eve Skincare Specialist covers…
- Best skincare practices, for both face and belly, while trying to conceive
- Pregnancy-safe skincare products
- Pregnancy-safe breakouts and pregnancy-safe prescription medications
- Pregnancy-safe in-office treatments, including therapeutic facials
- Skin discoloration, melasma and ways to mitigate hyperpigmentation
- Skin growths
- Linea negra
- Stretch marks
Solution: Chemical Peels… for melasma, acne scarring, stretch marks
A pillar of Viva Eve’s Aesthetic & Skin Health non-invasive service offerings, chemical peels deliver multiple benefits. Here are a few need-to-know details about this super-effective treatment…
- Are always preceded by a consultation with a Skincare Specialist, who has an in-depth conversation about skin type, skincare habits and other relevant medical information so they can help patients select the right peel
- Improve skin texture, color, tone and clarity
- Can treat all areas of the body
- Available in light, medium and deep concentrations, depending on the condition being treated and the patient’s tolerance for down-time
- Typically require just a light topical anesthetic
- Some mild stinging and burning sensation is expected
- Recovery time varies according to the strength of the peel, and can range from two weeks to over a month
Solution: Microneedling… for stretch marks and acne scarring
Also known as collagen induction therapy, microneedling is a minimally invasive procedure that rejuvenates the skin through controlled injury. To execute this treatment, Viva Eve provider Vanessa Kodra PA-C uses a pen-like tool, tipped with tiny needles, to create microscopic punctures below the skin’s surface. A few more facts…
- Controlled micro-injury of the skin trigger’s the body’s natural healing process, boosting collagen production and elasticity
- Used to treat skin conditions that cause depressions in the skin, such as acne scarring and stretch marks
- Effective even for “late” stretch marks that have been present for a while
- Allows topical nutrients to be absorbed deeply into the skin
- Requires just mild pre-treatment skin-numbing
- Typical post-treatment reaction includes flushed skin, followed by possible flaking or peeling a few days later
Getting Your Pre-Baby Mojo Back
With so many super effective, minimally and non-invasive options for treating your pregnancy skin issues, there’s truly nothing stopping you from getting your pre-baby mojo back. By working with your Viva Eve Skincare Specialist provider to develop a comprehensive plan to address your specific pregnancy-generated skin concerns, you’re practicing that all-important self-care and taking a big step forward into a more confident future.