A myomectomy is a fertility-sparing procedure to remove fibroids, while leaving the uterus intact. The type of myomectomy that your Fibroid Specialist NYC will recommend will depend on the size and location of your fibroids.
- Laparoscopic/robotic myomectomy may be chosen as a treatment option if you have smaller and fewer fibroids.
When it comes to laparoscopic myomectomy vs. abdominal myomectomy, the laparoscopic procedure is best because it is minimally invasive. Keeping the incisions as small as possible leads to less pain, fewer complications, and a much faster recovery.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Laparoscopic/Robotic Myomectomy?
The vast majority of myomectomies can be performed using advanced laparoscopic techniques. There are however some limitations and concerns regarding using the laparoscopic method.
- The number of fibroids should be considered. A high number of fibroids could limit the feasibility of using this method.
- The position of fibroids should also be reviewed carefully. Those outside the uterine wall, usually attached by a stalk, are easiest to remove with this method, while those more deeply embedded or near your fallopian tubes or major blood vessels are more difficult, possibly requiring a more traditional abdominal myomectomy.
- If the fibroids are exceptionally large or if uterine cancer is suspected, this method is not usually recommended.
How Is Laparoscopic Myomectomy Performed?
A laparoscope is a slender narrow lighted tube fitted with a camera. Your fibroid surgeon NYC makes a small incision in or near your belly button. Then he or she inserts a laparoscope into your abdomen. Your surgeon performs the surgery with instruments inserted through other small incisions in your abdominal wall.
If the surgery is being done robotically, your surgeon will control the instruments remotely using a robotic arm.
Benefits of Laparoscopic Myomectomy vs. Abdominal Myomectomy
Laparoscopic myomectomy vs. abdominal myomectomy provides considerable benefits, such as:
- Significantly less pain
- Less blood loss
- Fewer complications
- Less scarring
- A shorter hospital stay
- A faster return to normal daily activities
- Lower risk of infection
Viva Eve is a comprehensive clinical practice specializing in the treatment of fibroids and adenomyosis. The expert Ob/Gyns NYC and gynecologic surgeons who are part of the Viva Eve team are renowned for their extensive skills in performing laparoscopic myomectomy.
Our board-certified NYC fibroid specialists will work with you to choose the treatment path that’s best for you and your unique circumstances. Whether you are looking into starting treatment with us, or are simply seeking a second opinion, we invite you to come in for a consultation. You will always be heard at Viva Eve.